Chief Operating Officer
Job Description & Core Responsibilities
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Not Subject to Overtime)
STATUS: Full-Time, Salary
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) plays a significant role in marketing Blue Stone Strategy’s services, overseeing business development strategies and efforts in order to strengthen its industry position and achieve desired business goals. As a leadership figure of Blue Stone Strategy Group, the COO is expected to represent the brand and the mission and vision to staff, Tribal Advisors, contacts, clients, and potential clients.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies and vets potential opportunities.
- Becomes an expert in the Blue Stone Strategy’s services and where they are positioned within Indian Country.
- Establishes relationships as a means to create credibility and references for opportunities.
- Travels to business development meetings, industry conferences, trade shows, etc.
- Oversees the management of the business development pipeline.
- Provides leadership to the overall Blue Stone Strategy staff in scoping work with appropriate pricing, assisting with closing presentations, and ensuring that staff is working within scope on each project.
- Analyzes productivity and realization of projects to ensure future projects are correctly priced.
- Monitors budget, realization and productivity to ensure that organization is profitable and able to grow according to the strategic plan and vision of the Board.
- Gathers industry-relevant data to assist in business development, marketing, and public relations to aid in building the Blue Stone brand and services.
- Gathers and tracks data about relevant current events in Indian County and distributes it to the Blue Stone Team to recommend areas and product lines that need to be developed based on trends.
- Provides research for thought leadership, articles, press releases, website content and other Blue Stone communications.
- Oversees marketing efforts of the team, including press lists, press releases, blog releases, bio writing, website monitoring, and event coordination and planning.
- Gathers data related to weekly and ongoing business development activities.
- Oversees project work at a high level, ensuring there isn’t scope creep, that deliverables meet client expectations and Blue Stone Strategy standards, and coordinates with Tribal Advisors and Subject Matter Experts.
- Creates future vision of Blue Stone Strategy and bases decision-making on strategy.
- Gains support of internal team by mentoring and collaboration.
- Acts as a liaison between the Board and staff.
- Lead and work on a diverse set of projects, sometimes as a Project Manager and other times as a Subject Matter Expert.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Ability to find and evaluate potential new partnerships; adept at understanding where the business falls within the market and gauge the impact of new opportunities.
- Resourceful –Ability to do more with less, ruthlessly prioritizes, and multi-tasks; attention to detail.
- Excellent Communicator – Ability to build and manage relationships (internally and externally); skilled verbal and written communicator.
- Product Expertise – Ability to effectively identify and vet opportunity; complete understanding of Blue Stone Strategy’s products and services inside and out.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information, quantitative reasoning; demonstrated exceptional attention to detail.
- Adept at identifying and resolving issues in a timely manner, contributing to insight and team problem solving
- Strong understanding of financial concepts, budgets, and financial statements; strong with numbers and quantification and qualitative inputs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, strong verbal and written skills including high-level of proficiency of MS Word report formatting, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Strong working knowledge of Google applications such as Gmail, Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Ability to work independently and also in a team setting, with the ability to self-manage time and ensure deadlines are met with efficiency and high quality
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of project management and time allocation to ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget
- Strong knowledge of cultural impacts of Federal and State regulations and laws on Tribes within Indian Country
- Demonstrated abilities in strategic planning, economic development, governance, workforce development or other key area of Blue Stone’s service offerings
- Cultural awareness and respect for Native American, Hawaiian Native, and Alaskan Native Tribes
- Visibility and established relationships in Indian Country; Native professional
- Strong public speaking skills and persuasion skills with the ability to gain consensus from those who may be on differing sides of an issue
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university; MBA preferred
Previous leadership role within a Native American or Alaskan Native Tribe
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hours and workload may vary based on the project, occasional weekend and evening work may be required. Travel is required, on an as needed basis. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, occasionally required to stand and walk.
Because our company is Native-owned and the services we provide are only in Indian Country, Blue Stone Strategy Group gives hiring preference and consideration to Native Americans and/or Alaskan Natives.
Job descriptions are used primarily to assist in the identification of the core duties and responsibilities of a position and to be used in determining the level of compensation for the position. Other duties and responsibilities may be added or removed at the description of the company.