TRIBAL HOUSING SERVICES DIRECTOR
Job Description & Core Responsibilities
REPORTS TO: Chairman/CEO & President
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Not subject to Overtime)
COMPENSATION: $100,000 minimum base (based on experience), plus business development incentive
REVIEW: Semi-Annually and as appropriate
The Tribal Housing Services Director has the primary responsibility of advising clients on the development, oversight and management of Tribal housing services for Blue Stone Strategy Group. Conducts business outreach to develop Tribal housing business strategies and provide operational services to improve productivity, efficiencies, and revenue optimization for clients of BSSG.
Internal services provided to enhance the delivery and overall effectiveness of the Housing Services Initiative.
- Conduct analysis and market research to create a needs assessment, which will outline areas of opportunity and/or growth for clients.
- Assist with identifying gaps in services and potential solutions on how to bridge those gaps.
- Assist with planning, managing, implementing and evaluating strategies and initiatives aligned with revenue generation with Tribal housing leadership engagement strategies.
- Advise on the promotion of Tribal housing service opportunities, analyzation of current client strategies, service delivery effectiveness, operations and administrative efficiencies with the goal to generate revenue, and improve Tribal Member satisfaction.
- Provide advisory services to Tribal housing programs in areas of leadership, organizational direction, housing management, maintenance, construction projects, finance and community development.
- Maintain best practices and applicable laws of Tribal housing to provide current and relevant housing strategies.
- Provide assistance with the recruitment of staff and ensure onboarding and training of new staff members to optimize housing services, as well as develop performance metrics.
- Advise on the development of future projects and redevelopment as requested.
External services provided to support functions to Tribal Housing Programs
- Advise on the appropriate organizational structure for a Tribal Housing program which could include the recommendation to consolidate two or more existing housing entities.
- Ensure that all programs are operated in compliance with all applicable regulations and within contractual budget parameters.
- Advise on the development of budgets and monitoring, as well as creation of financial reports.
- Work with community leaders and community members to create buy-in and input on all new housing initiatives.
- Advise on the preparation of all ongoing Section 8 HCV, PHA management audits and specialized reports for HUD regarding the Tribal housing activities, programs, and services.
- Advise on the implementation of any organizational development projects and strategic plan activities.
- Seek advice and guidance with lenders, architects, contractors, and others in investigating new, creative approaches to expansion of housing development.
- Provide advice and guidance on promotion of awareness of Indian housing programs and services such as media, boards, commissions, and local, Statewide, regional and national groups. Assists with presentations to elicit information and promote Tribal housing services and objectives.
- Provide guidance on grant writing, reporting and other revenue generating activities as needed, to ensure compliance and continued funding.
- Lead business development by proposing a strategy for managing the resources, budget, and impact while focusing on results and revenue.
- Work with stakeholders to identify opportunities for marketing campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in Tribal housing services, clients, and revenue generation opportunities, as well as brand enhancement and communication strategies.
- Oversee management of all social media accounts for the Tribal housing service line.
- Identify and develop relationships with Tribal housing programs as well as Regional and National Indian housing organizations.
- Create and execute a strategy to gain and maintain ongoing relationships with Tribal housing business partners and community partners.
- Manage relationships with current and prospective Tribal housing opportunities to reach revenue goals.
- Drive the ongoing process of identifying, recruiting and activating an influential and inclusive Tribal housing leadership base to support the marketing campaign(s) on a sustained basis. This includes the recruitment and engagement of Tribal housing leadership teams to champion achievement of identified goals.
- Develop and implement year-round pipelines and cultivation plans for Tribal housing accounts, ensuring sufficient depth for revenue generation and excellent customer relations.
- Ensure timely communication with internal and external partners and customers, supporting collaboration in account management and activities to achieve shared goals.
- Develop a strategy to target individual Tribal leaders and their respective Tribal housing leaders, through community relations, speaking engagements, newsletters, charitable events, and relevant conferences.
- Coordinate marketing materials, social media and advertising campaigns.
- Present business development, targets, impact measurements, and marketing plans to executive team as needed.
- Attend networking events and build relationships with stakeholders.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent experience required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Five (5) years of increasing experience, with three (3) years in a management capacity with fiscal oversight including housing management and/or community and housing development, preferably with Tribes
- Previous experience as a Director or Executive Administrator for a Housing Authority or similar organization
- Tribal preference will be applied when considering applicants
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and expertise in all aspects of Indian housing. Comprehensive understanding of the Native American Housing and Self-Determination Act (NAHASDA) and the other relevant statutes that provide funding for Indian housing
- Ability to provide advice and guidance, interpreting regulations, evaluating, assessing, and establishing program policies and goals for the Housing Services Initiatives
- Strong knowledge of the myriad of Federal programs that provide funding for Indian housing and the related infrastructure requirements
- Proven ability to leverage a variety of funding sources to create complex financial structures that fund Tribal Housing development
- Knowledge of using alternative energy sources to reduce Tribal Housing utility costs
- Experience in developing innovative Tribal Housing programs that embrace multi-unit housing options for Tribal Housing
- Awareness of the severity of overcrowding in Indian housing and its role in exacerbating the COVID-19 pandemic in Indian Country
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with all levels of an organization, including the ability to assess gaps, identify, and implement solutions
- Knowledge of the Federal grant application process and the ability to interpret Federal Tribal Housing programs, laws and regulations, including interpretation of policy directives and changes and program compliance
- Excellent data analysis, verbal, and written presentation skills; detail-oriented
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Ability to develop and maintain extensive contacts and interact with a variety of partners including Tribal, Federal, corporate and nonprofit entities
- Ability to foster public trust and maintain professional ethical conduct at all times
- Proven leadership skills within and across organizations; ability to build consensus and resolve conflict with all stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
- Solid analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated effectiveness in identifying operational issues and gaps, and recommending and implementing solutions to resolve those issues and gaps
- Proven ability to motivate and lead cross-functional teams to achieve desired outcomes
- Budgeting, planning, and analysis experience
- Able to prioritize effectively and meet strict deadlines while managing multiple, competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong collaborative team player, able to form strong work relationships with peers and leadership with the ability to also work independently with limited direction and supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Microsoft, Adobe Creative Suite
- Skills and experience in sales and customer service
- Experience in market research
- Experience in coordinating events
- Persuasive writing and strong verbal communication skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, occasionally required to stand and walk:
- Ability to stand, walk or view a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Ability to use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Ability to reach with hands or arms
- Ability to perform repetitive hand and wrist motions for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and transport tables and boxes of materials for events
- Ability to effectively talk and listen to staff, vendors, and donors
- Ability to work at events that may be held outdoors
Travel requirement of 30% of work time.
(Job descriptions are used primarily to assist in the identification of the core duties and responsibilities of a position and to be used in determining the level of compensation for the position. Other duties and responsibilities may be added or removed at the discretion of the company.)